Sunday, August 10, 2014

Minnesota Fringe Festival- 3 Weeks in the Twin Cities


Every summer around the beginning of August, Minneapolis (one of the Twin Cities) hosts the Minnesota Fringe Festival. This year, the Fringe Fest had 169 shows in 19 theaters being performed throughout Minneapolis. Each show is picked at random on a first come, first served basis. This year, my friend Basil entered his opera "The Frat Party" into the Fringe lottery. It was chosen, and was the only opera out of 169 shows (most shows are straight theatre or musicals). Basil asked if I would be the musical director for the opera and also play the role of Fiona. I agreed, flew to Minneapolis and in my spare time, took just a few photos of some of the experiences I had in the Twin Cities:

Even though I had to spend time in the Downtown Branch of the Hennepin County Library, I was at least able to enjoy the nice view.

Inside the library

Almost everyday I went on a bike ride with a Nice Ride bike.  I used it for work, leisure and/or exercise. Super convenient. Super awesome. 

One of my favorite rides was going around Lake of the Isles. Downtown Minneapolis can be seen in the background.

Minneapolis by night. This photo was taken from the Guthrie Theater.

The Mississippi River at night. This photo was also taken from the Guthrie.

Fireworks over the Mississippi River.

 
The Mississippi by day


A view of the Mill City Museum from the rear.
 
Old mill ruins along the Mississippi.

 
 A trip to the Twin Cities isn't complete without a trip to Mall of America.
 
 The craziness that is in the center of Mall of America.

  Of course not everything in Minneapolis was fun and leisurely. Much hard work went into the performances. This is a performer's view of the stage on which we performed, which was in the Stoll Thrust Theater in the Rarig Center at University of Minnesota.

 
Fun with Miryana, our accompanist, before one of our shows.
 

Amanda waiting in the back stage before being called to places.
*For some photos of the cast, click here.

Though I consider participating in the Fringe Festival a good learning experience, my favorite part of Minneapolis was meeting and working with some wonderful new people and great old friends, including Victoria and Alpay. I had great time catching up with them, and of course, hanging out at their pool! Good times in the Midwest (which I didn't think could exist!).

Best,
Jennifer


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Jennifer, haben heute Deinen Block mit den Bildern gesehen. Toll, hast ja allerhand erlebt und sportlich bist Du auch gewesen! Die Hauptsache ist ja auch, daß Dir die Reise Spaß gemacht hat. Grüße!

Anonymous said...

I understand most of the text, I also saw the pictures and my parents only saw the pictures oder so ähnlich, mein Englisch wird ebenso besser wie Jennifers Deutsch.

Anonymous said...

Sounds nice, but can you explain what twincity exactly mean? I used the link on it, but I'm not sure if I got it right, because, like my mom said, my English is also getting worse with every month I don't have to use it.
thank you Anne😊

Jennifer said...

Hi Anne! Here is a link that might help you understand the term "twin city". http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwillingsstadt
I hope this helps!